Thursday 12 February 2009

Christians and Mediocrity

I've just finished reading a book that really challenged me on many different aspects of my faith, my church and my belief.

I'm going to put up a series of posts about my thoughts that this book triggered.

The first thing I'm going to muse about is the mediocrity that so many Christians think is ok.

When you think about it you'll see what I mean. For example, how many church websites would you say are great? Good? Or mediocre?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at any particular churches. But I think of our website from our church, and even this blog, and while I love the brother that looks after our website. He does it on the side separate to his work, and doesn't have the time to make it a fantastic sight. So while visually it isn't the most promising sight, it is updated regularly which is more than can be said for other churches and groups.

Also music. How many church songs or Christian music, would you say are great. Sure they are powerful and moving, but comparatively to the music we say is great and our favourite bands, it is lacking. In some genres this isn't true. Bands like underoath, the Showdown and Demon Hunter are viewed as great metal bands and are also Christian. What is ironic here are the number of "Christians" that say that this form of music is from the devil. I will have another post about music soon.


 

Even in regards to technology that we use that we come together when we worship. Many churches will spend as little as possible to do the bare minimum. They wont try to ush the boundaries they don't want to. They say that it is too much like a concert experience. Hello! That is what our culture is about. That is what so many young people want. But there are churches that take this too far, and that is all it is, a big concert. We have to use what gifts we have been given to minister to the culture that we are in, but not go over board and become part of the culture that we are ministering to.


 

More to come soon


 

J

No comments: